Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Storm is Coming

It’s night. The wind is beginning to pick up a bit. As I stood out in the backyard, the wind chimes gave soft tinkling sounds. Every time I hear the chimes sound like that, it reminds me of the movie “Twister” and the musical sounds that came from the auntie’s metal sculptures, in the movie, a harbinger of The Big One.

In this case, it is also going to be a Big One. So the forecasters tell us. Schools were closed today as a precaution, although they could have opened. Nothing happened. At least not today.

Watching the windsocks twist mildly as the early bands of the storm begin to arrive, I realize that as it is with these storms, the wind doesn’t quite know which way to blow. We’ll have a mild gust from the east, and then several from the west, and then back to the east again. Right now, they seem to be easterly. It is certainly coming closer.

As Sara and I rinsed Paco with his nightly kakwate (boiled leaves that are a nice, natural anti-flea treatment), we felt the occasional spray of vaporized rain. Rain that has been blown to spray.

The storm, international name Durian (the stinky fruit), is coming in slightly from the south. That means, as I understand it, that we’ll get a much harder hit than if it were to pass us to the north.

The plastic tarps have been up on the lanai since this morning. Sara and I just moved the larger wind chimes that were on the front porch to the safety of the lanai.

As I write, within the last few minutes, the fine spray has now become real rain.

It’s here.

2 Comments:

At 5:02 AM, Blogger superstar said...

life just good

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Teresa Gunderson said...

I love how you write. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home