Sunday, March 18, 2007

Food, Friends, and Fire





This post should have gone in awhile ago, but I was on a computer that lacked the pics. A while back our dear friends, Geoff and Joy Metcalf and their son Chris visited us from Australia. They had been missionaries here about 12 years ago.




Joy is a midwife specializing in neonatal care and during their time here, she helped us through many a situation at the little children's home working with marginalized infants. She and I are close....so close do I feel to this very excellent lady that when they returned home to Aussieland, I could not bring myself to go to the particular McDonald's where we had often met for coffee. Still have not been back. I would do anything to get this couple back on the field.




Geoff is the most practical of men. His friendship has meant much to us over the years....he is our instructor in Aussiespeak. He ramrodded the construction of their denomination's church building during their time here. A masterful piece of work. And, he makes the most delightful angel food cake that one could ever wrap their lips around.




Dennis, in the photo is, as ever, holding forth at the grill. It is much more about the fire than the food.

4 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Grace said...

this picture of Dennis is great. as always he had joy in serving others. it reminds me of our last supper togther. i remember i told you, ate jerie, not to wakeup Dennis because he was tired from traveling, but you insisted saying "who knows this might be the last time you see each other," (and it was). i remember the chocolat he served us. i said, one is enogh BUT he insisted saying "onemore". i think i ended up having three at least. i still can feel the tast. he was an amaazing man. i will always remember his love and encouragment to me.
Ahmad

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Geri,

I don't know if you will remember, me its Wendy the American/Australian volunteering in Manila who sat next you at the bazar? Anyways, I would still like to come visit your center sometime but things have been crazy for me, I started a new job and have been travelling a bit. But I finally sent the cards I bought from you off and my mom would like to order some. I was wondering if and how we could arrange this? She would like four or five packs in different designs. If you could let me know when you might be in Manila and we could check up or I think your place in Antipolo is not too far from me so I might be able to come out on a weekend. Cheers and hope everything is going well for you.

Regards,
Wendy

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger denie heppner said...

this picture of dennis brings back a lot of memories. can't believe he's gone.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love you and miss you tons. It's been challenging being home with parents that are aging. Sigh! My Mom has been in the hospital again for almost two weeks and now we're moving her to a skilled nursing care unit. Thanks for your blog update. Love you lots - bob-carol_kuiken@wycliffe.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home